Welcome to our website, which is in honour of Allied Veterans and their fallen comrades who served in Greece in World War Two.
Our aim is to:
- create awareness and understanding of the ill-fated Greek Campaign
- promote the ongoing work and activities of ‘The Brotherhood of Veterans of The Greek Campaign 1940 to 1941’ for veterans and their families.
30 years since it was founded by Edwin Horlington MBE, The Brotherhood continues to be very active due to the hard work and dedication of Edwin’s daughter Janet Parkin (formerly Buttery, née Horlington) and, until recently, our President Frank J Gill (Lance Corporal, Royal Engineers).
The 1941 Greek Campaign has been commemorated with a memorial service, attended by veterans and their families from the UK, in Kalamata in May every year since 1994. We also hold an annual service at the National Memorial Arboretum in the UK every September.
Sharing veterans’ stories in the 80th anniversary year
Our Archive is now available to view on our website. For every veteran listed we provide a summary record. For others, we also have a copy of their POW questionnaire/debrief. For the rest, we have a comprehensive story including Pre-Greece, Greek Campaign, Post-Greece and sometimes a Post Script about life after the war. In honour of the 80th anniversary year, we are publishing a series of posts featuring different veterans.
Veteran Story: Len Abbs
This week we are pleased to feature Len Abbs. Len was one of the early members of The Brotherhood of Greek Veterans. He joined the RAF in 1938 where he trained in RAF photographic work before being posted to 9 Squadron then to 211 Squadron. He arrived in Greece in November 1940 and was there when the Germans invaded in April 1941. He was fortunate in being evacuated to Egypt.
Len was later posted to Sumatra where he was captured by the Japanese and became a PoW. He was one of the lucky ones to survive. He married Betty in 1947, had five daughters and lived to be 93 years of age before he passed away in 2014.
Please click on the link below and scroll down to STORY to read about Len’s experiences as well as information on 211 Squadron.
Len is also featured on the website ‘Heroes of our Time’ https://heroesofourtime.co.uk/len-abbs.html
News (please click on links below and see News section)
- Funding The Brotherhood activities
- Thanks to Noah Scott for the Brotherhood Archive
- Kalamata and UK Reunions 2022 – 81st Anniversary of Greek Campaign
- Famous people who were also veterans of the Campaign
- UK Reunion – 80th Anniversary 11th September 2021
- Veteran Story: Eric Sanderson
- Veteran Story: Jack Dean
- Veteran Story: George Dexter
- Veteran Story: Leslie Donald Haslewood
- Veteran Story: Ronald Ramsay
- Veteran Story: (David) Allan Slocombe