Welcome to our website, which is in honour of Allied Veterans and their fallen comrades who served in Greece in World War Two.
Our aim is to:
- create awareness and understanding of the ill-fated Greek Campaign
- promote the ongoing work and activities of ‘The Brotherhood of Veterans of The Greek Campaign 1940 to 1941’ for veterans and their families.
Over 20 years since it was founded by Edwin Horlington MBE, the Brotherhood continues to be very active due to the hard work and dedication of Edwin’s daughter Janet Parkin (formerly Buttery, née Horlington) and our President Frank J Gill (Lance Corporal, Royal Engineers).
The 1941 Greek Campaign has been commemorated with a memorial service, attended by veterans and their families from the UK, in Kalamata in May every year since 1994. We also hold an annual service at the National Memorial Arboretum in the UK every September.
STOP PRESS: The planned commemoration in Kalamata for 79th anniversary has been cancelled due to COVID-19
We are very sorry to announce that the Service of Commemoration for the 79th anniversary of the 1941 Greek Campaign in Kalamata due to be held on Tuesday 12th May 2020 has been cancelled. We received an email from the Mayor of Kalamata this week. Here is an extract from his message.
“According to the information so far and the prohibitions applied to our country… we are not in the position of fulfilling this year everything we would wish to. Not being able to know the evolution of COVID-19 pandemic within the next two weeks, we have decided to cancel the ceremony for the 79th anniversary of the historic Battle of Kalamata. In honour of the people who lost their lives, a wreath will be laid by the Municipality. 2021 marks the 80th anniversary of the historic Battle of Kalamata and we will ensure that this ceremony will cover this year’s cancellation. I hope you are well and soon positive information on COVID-19 treatment to be released.
Yours faithfully, The Mayor of Kalamata Athanasios P. Vasilopoulos “
Latest news and dates for 2020 (see News and Events section)
- The planned commemoration in Kalamata for 79th anniversary has been cancelled due to COVID-19
- Very sad news “Dai” Davies has died at age of 101
- Records for 500 Greek veterans now on website
- Announcing date for 79th UK reunion at Lichfield: Saturday 12th September 2020