Welcome to our website, which is in honour of Allied Veterans and their fallen comrades who served in Greece in World War Two.
Our aim is to:
- create awareness and understanding of the ill-fated Greek Campaign
- promote the ongoing work and activities of ‘The Brotherhood of Veterans of The Greek Campaign 1940 to 1941’ for veterans and their families.
Over 20 years since it was founded by Edwin Horlington MBE, the Brotherhood continues to be very active due to the hard work and dedication of Edwin’s daughter Janet Parkin (formerly Buttery, née Horlington) and our President Frank J Gill (Lance Corporal, Royal Engineers).
The 1941 Greek Campaign has been commemorated with a memorial service, attended by veterans and their families from the UK, in Kalamata in May every year since 1994. We also hold an annual service at the National Memorial Arboretum in the UK every September.
Sad news: Frank Gill, our President, has passed away.
L/Cpl, 580 Army Troop Coy, Royal Engineers. Service no 2051895. Severely wounded aboard yacht Hellas in Piraeus Harbour air raid 24.4.41. Captured in hospital Athens 27.4.41. PoW 22781
We write this with a heavy heart because we are writing to let you know the very sad news that Frank, our President, died on Wednesday 25th November 2020. Aged 101, Frank passed away, peacefully, at the care home where he had been living since Spring.
Frank had been a member of the Brotherhood since the early 1990s. He and his late wife Madge, attended the UK and Kalamata reunions regularly. In fact Frank organized the UK reunions and Edwin Horlington organized the Kalamata reunions. For the full post please see the News and Events section.
News and dates for 2021 (see News and Events section)
- Records for 532 Greek Veterans now on website
- Sad news: Frank Gill, our President, has passed away
- 79th anniversary virtual UK Reunion held 12th September 2020
- 80th anniversary of the 1941 Greek Campaign Kalamata 2021
- 80th Anniversary UK Reunion September 2021
- Books added to Resources section of the website