Welcome to our website, which is in honour of Allied Veterans and their fallen comrades who served in Greece in World War Two.
Our aim is to:
- create awareness and understanding of the ill-fated Greek Campaign
- promote the ongoing work and activities of ‘The Brotherhood of Veterans of The Greek Campaign 1940 to 1941’ for veterans and their families.
30 years since it was founded by Edwin Horlington MBE, The Brotherhood continues to be very active due to the hard work and dedication of Edwin’s daughter Janet Parkin (formerly Buttery, née Horlington) and, until recently, our President Frank J Gill (Lance Corporal, Royal Engineers).
The 1941 Greek Campaign has been commemorated with a memorial service, attended by veterans and their families from the UK, in Kalamata in May every year since 1994. We also hold an annual service at the National Memorial Arboretum in the UK every September.
Our Archive of veterans stories is available to view on our website. For every veteran listed we provide a summary record. For others, we also have a copy of their POW questionnaire. For the rest, we have a comprehensive story including Pre-Greece, Greek Campaign, Post-Greece and sometimes a Post Script about life after the war.
Kalamata 2023 – 82nd Anniversary of the 1941 Greek Campaign
The date for this year’s memorial service has been arranged for Tuesday 16th May 2023. This is a week later than previous years due to the Coronation events which are taking place in the UK in early May. The ceremony will be held at the WW2 memorial located at the entrance to the Municipal Railway Park in Kalamata.
Should you wish to join us, please email email@example.com if you would like further details about the service.
For information, several airlines fly direct to Kalamata from the UK: Jet2 from Stansted, Birmingham and Manchester; Easyjet from Gatwick. Also Thomas Cook and Jet2 offer package holidays to Kalamata.
UK Reunion – 82nd Anniversary 9th September 2023
This year’s service will be held at the National Memorial Arboretum, Lichfield on Saturday 9th September 2023 at 11.30 am in the Greek Grove, or in the chapel if wet.
If you would like to join us for refreshments (small charge per head) after the service please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.
News (please click on links below and see News section)
- Anzac Memorial Plaque Trail across Greece
- Kalamata and UK Reunion 2023 – 82nd anniversary of the 1941 Greek Campaign
- 81st UK anniversary service held September 10th 2022
- English translation of Nikos Zervis’s book: Kalamata – Occupation – Resistance – Liberation available to buy
- Funding The Brotherhood activities
- Famous people who were also veterans of the Campaign